Erected by the local Fassadinin History Society in 1998 to commemorate the bicentenary of the Battle of Castlecomer. The Battle of Castlecomer was the last battle of the 1798 Rebellion.
Following the battle most of the houses in the town, including the residence of Lady Anne Wandesforde, on the other side of the Big Bridge, were destroyed and had to be rebuilt. The sculptor, David Lambert of Black Stone Studios, Kells, Co. Kilkenny, assisted by Aileen Anne Brannigan, used blue limestone from Paulstown, Co. Kilkenny. This and the two curved seats facing each other suggest communication and conversation and in outline suggest a fallen arch. The centre stone is inscribed with the poem Requiem for the Croppies by Seamus Heaney (by Kind permission), which links to the engraved ears of barley on the seats. The lettering is by Pip Hall.